Thursday, April 2, 2009

Change

President Obama ran his whole campaign on this concept and as we all know, it worked. So why is it so hard for people to apply it in their lives? A wise man once told me "without change there is no growth". That has stuck with me for years and I believe in it wholeheartedly and when I saw that "change" was one of Obamas slogans, I immediately became interested because "change" is my middle name, sort of speak.

When I see people acting in a negative way or doing the same unhealthy things they did from prior years it erks me to the core. I distance myself until they (in Lawrence Fishbourne's voice in School Daze) WAKE UP or in some instances, forever. Habits are learned rather good or bad. Jump on the good side. Let the dysfunctional, unthoughtful, catty, pretentious, non-productive, useless, selfish, non-appreciative, transparent bullshyt go ladies and gentlemen. We are all human and make mistakes, but at what point is enough, enough? If the decisions you are making don't feel good to your soul then guess what? It probably isn't a great idea to do it. This sounds so cliche' but I'm going to say it anyway, BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE.

I've had people back home tell me, "You've changed!", like that's a bad thing. I welcome it. I even had a cousin I hadn't seen in awhile tell me, "Why are you talking so Oprah-like?" and "I don't know who you are anymore". I guess because my vocabulary had grown I was now uncool. The funny thing is, hers hadn't changed since the times we used to hang out which was the early 90's but she was right about one thing, she really doesn't know who I am anymore. I definitely am not that kid from back then. I am a cultured, grown and sexy, polished version of her...

No comments: